[MUD-DEV] a shrinking pool of players?

Ryan P. ixiterra at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 15 23:22:32 CET 2000

At 09:31 PM 2/15/00 -0500, JD wrote:
>In a message dated 2/15/00 8:13:59 PM Central Standard Time,
>PartyG2816 at aol.com writes:
>
>>>  testify
>Wrong word.. EQ alone holds more than 50k people. Then add in the people at
>UO.. and AC.. and the ones that were at Realm.. and The list goes on and on...
>
>JD

I've played EQ before, and I would say roughly 80% of those people have no
clue what a text-based mud is. EQ is a commercialized video game in
every sense of the word. It is akin to UT and Q3A except for the fact that it
focuses more on a roleplaying aspect rather than kill, kill, kill.
I wouldn't even consider EQ/UO part of the mudding community. Anyone who
has started on one of those games then attempts to switch to a text-based
mud will not be a happy camper. It's just like trying to get heavy video game
players to play AD&D, it is very difficult unless they have a modicum of
intelligence and a bit of creativity. Text muds are one step between AD&D
and video games. EQ/UO are video games, plain and simple.

--Ryan

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu