[MUD-Dev] distributed objects

Laurent Bossavit bossavit at cybercable.fr
Tue Feb 15 22:20:09 CET 2000

Kevin Littlejohn sez:

> Phil's comment on that was that it's impossible to construct a
> decent fight system, for instance, under that setup, because you
> can never guarantee that

Um... Unless I'm missing a perfectly obvious point (which wouldn't be
the first time) don't the solutions outlined at www.erights.org for
implementing secure "purses" also fit the bill for combat systems ?

Your HP is held in a "purse" as described in there. Before each
combat round, combatants must hand over all of their HP to the combat
system. The system then determines how much damage each party has
taken (problems inherent in such determinations, such as making sure
everyone really has the weapons they claim to have, being outside the
scope of this suggested solution) and hands back the remainder to the
participants.

You don't have to prevent an object from 'cheating' by not handing
over all of its HP, but only a fraction instead; if an object doesn't
have enough HP to sustain the damage inflicted, it is declared "dead"
by the system. Again, how tags such as "being dead" can be attached
to an object if that object won't go along with the joke is another
matter...

IOW, my point is that if a capability system lets you do financial
transactions, then you can model your combat system as a set of
(pseudo-)financial transactions...

-[Morendil]-
Walk through doors, don't crawl through Windows.

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu