[MUD-Dev] code base inquiry

Caliban Tiresias Darklock caliban at darklock.com
Tue Feb 15 15:54:59 CET 2000

David Bennett wrote:

> I don't think it matters much if the stock mud is free of commerical, if
> people don't put in effort it won't be anything interesting.  I don't think
> people would put in any more effort if they were writing a commerical as
> compared to free mud.

I disagree. If a free MUD sucks, nobody's out anything. If a commercial
MUD sucks, people are out lots of money. That's a pretty powerful
incentive for the commercial MUD not to suck. They put in more effort in
selecting the right people, not just whoever's willing to do the job;
they have actual priorities and standards and source control; and their
staff have to meet certain professional standards of conduct. On a free
MUD, there tends to be a general attitude of "hey, it's free, asswipe".

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu