[MUD-Dev] Event Scheduling

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Tue Feb 8 10:18:54 CET 2000

On 08 Feb 2000 11:33:12 +0100
Miroslav Silovic <silovic at zesoi.fer.hr> wrote:

> While I'm not Python programmer, the main issue with Python is
> that its datastructures are not overwritable...

More correctly, some Python data types are immutable leaving the
only method of internal manipulation the creation of new objects of
that type with the requisite data contents.  Strings and tuples, for
instance, are immutable under Python, but lists and dictionaries are
quite definitely mutable.

Happily enough from a syntactical PoV, the syntax for immutable and
mutable objects, is identical, and the handling of references,
object copies, etc, is also quite transparent.

> If Python copies the entire heap on each schedule, then you end up
> with square complexity even with the heap.

Given that heaps are generally implemented as lists or dictionaries
(out of the catalog of basic Python types), and that both are
mutable, this is not a problem

J C Lawrence                                 Home: claw at kanga.nu
----------(*)                              Other: coder at kanga.nu

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu