[MUD-Dev] Ray Feist interview

John Vanderbeck agathorn at cfl.rr.com
Sat Dec 30 08:38:18 CET 2000

> "David Loeser" <daklozar at home.com> wrote:

[SNIP]

> This is exactly the issue that "we" have been working on. How can a
> player that does not spend 100 hours per week playing continue to
> feel that they matter. More over how do you make that player
> continue to play? To feel that he isn't (for lack of a better word)
> "losing"?

> On top of that how do you make the game challenging enough for the
> player that does spend 100 hours per week playing... or how do you
> continue to challenge that player to remain a paying customer?

> David "Dak Lozar" Loeser

One of the things I feel is important for this balance, is to make
sure there are plenty of things that can be done on a casual basis.
It also comes down to the overall design and direction of the game.
If the game is very linear, like EverQuest where your only REAL goal
is to gain levels (and some would argue this, but I feel strongly that
EverQuest pretty much forces you to play for levels if you want to do
anything), then its near impossible to balance for casual and hard
core players.  On the other hand if the game is very open and
non-linear, with lots of different pahs the player can choose in order
to live out thier life, then it becomes easier.  Giving casual players
these other things to do makes them feel like thye don't have to spend
alot of time.  Another option, although i'm not sure if I like it or
not, is to make some paths balanced for casual players and other paths
balanced for hard core players.  Things like "trade skills" could be
designed to take a minimum of time, at least in a general scope,
whereas things like combat could be designed to take more time.  Like
I said, its an option though I don't think I like it.

- John Vanderbeck