[MUD-Dev] NPC grouping (LONG)

ling at kanga.nu ling at kanga.nu
Wed Dec 20 14:20:10 CET 2000

--<cut>--
Note: This message was written via the list web archives.  There is
no guarantee that the claimed author is actually the author.
--<cut>--
Original message: http://www.kanga.nu/archives/MUD-Dev-L/2000Q4/msg00560.php

On Mon, 18 Dec 2000 23:45:46 -0800 (PST)
"Hulbert, Leland" <LHulbert at czn.com> wrote:

[snip!]

> TEAMS:
>
> Teams are grouping of mobs in various manners.  Membership by a mob in
> a team consists of a record of the team leader, and a number
> designating that mob's loyalty to that particular leader.  'Teams' do
> not need to be literal teams in all cases.  The functionality should
> help define actions based on tribe, race, class, guild, party
> affiliation, etc.  All mob's start with the special teams of SELF, and
> RACE.
>
> Teams can be added or dropped from a mob profile at any time.  Joining
> a team involves offering to join (as a subordinate), being invited to
> join(as a subordinate) or offering to allow someone else to join you(
> with you as the leader.)  Team leaders have the ability to set team
> goals, and team members actions are based the team goals of all their
> teams, and the associated loyalty value for each.

One thing I noticed was the lack of criteria for which a mob decides
to join or leave a group.  I suggest, perhaps, a selfish reason for
joining teams or perhaps a team rating in various categories.  For
instance, a gang called Anarchy might have a high mortality rate but
have a good record for getting cold hard cash.  On the other hand,
another gang, called Paracetamol, is very good at protecting itself.
A mob on the lookout for teams might initially be in need of
protection, then as that becomes less of an issue, look for something
more, like cash.  Teams can then have a versus factor (for lack of a
better name) which would prevent a mob being members of similar but
opposing teams.

[big snip]

> Any comments or questions?  In particular, I'd like any thoughts on
> how hard this will be to code, and how much slow-down I'll have to
> deal with when it's running.  I am a code-newbie...

The hardest part to code will be figuring out how to achieve goals and
the delegation of goals.

Speed is something that's dependent upon the gameworld.  Is the
gameworld wide? That is, lots of it, like so many free combat muds.
Or deep?  Like role-playing muds.  Yet to see something that's wide
and deep but hey.

Ooo, a DB7 just parked outside. *drool*

Regards,
Ling