[MUD-Dev] Permadeath or Not?

Corey Crawford myrddin at seventh.net
Mon Dec 11 21:22:19 CET 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Travis Nixon" <tnixon at avalanchesoftware.com>
> In my opinion, any increase of any sort in the typical penalty for
> death absolutely requires that death becomes less frequent.  So I
> guess here we're in agreement.  hehehe

Along those lines, I want to share this post (originally posted on SWG Dev
Board) with everyone:

Dabry
Station Member   posted 12-07-2000 01:03 AM
----
Ok, first off,
PD is pretty extreme, but it is do-able.

Secondly,

If SWG is like EverQuest in it's game design and mechanics, *PD WILL NOT
WORK*. Why? Because dying is almost _normal_.

Thirdly,

To make PD work, you would have to make it a realistic death, meaning a) you
didn't die because of a bug/lag/etc., b) you don't die real easy, like in
EQ, and c) the focus of the game is something other than just phat loot and
exp/leveling.

PD works well in a MUSH-like environment, because it's not combat based.. so
if you die, it's because you slip up and your spy is now exposed and they
execute you for stealing trade secrets. You don't die because you simply
stumble upon a lair of human eating rats; It's more of a social, puzzlish,
adventurish setting (more like a movie, where you act a part.. not just
kill->get exp->level->kill more (get some loot)->get exp->level->kill more..
etc ..), where combat is rare and has a point other than exp and loot; and
death isn't an every day thing for everybody.

What I mean by 'combat is rare and has a point' is that you don't fight just
to fight, you do it for a reason. Example: Guy walks in a bar, pulls a gun
on your buddy. Demands payment for whatever. Your friend doesn't have it.
Guy threatens to shoot him, so you stand up to your friend and end up in a
brawl. The blaster goes off, but misses anything of importance, and clatters
to the ground. You scuffle, beat him into a daze, grab your friend, then
run!

You didn't attack him for exp or loot, you attacked him because he
threatened to kill your friend. You had a much better reason! (I would
almost call it a "social" reason, but there would also be "monetary"
reasons). Death is way too common in today's current MMORPGs for PD to work,
the focus is way off.

Anyone follow me?

- Dabry
----