[MUD-Dev] Permadeath or Not?

Ben Chambers bjchambers at pheonixdsl.com
Fri Dec 8 21:17:56 CET 2000

   I was reading through some articles I found on line, and this is the
idea for death I picked up.  Each player belongs to a religion.  As they
do quests for that religion their FP (faith points, or something
whatever you want to call them) go up.  When the player dies, he goes to
the underworld.  Once there, he goes to his religions area, and is
assigned a service to his deity which he must perform.  The difficulty
is based upon FP.  After completing it, a lost comes up listing a number
of random cities in which his religion has temples.  He chooses one and
goes there.  His stats are at 50%, but 1% regenerates every minute, more
if resting.  The number of cities in the random list is also determined
by faith.  This provides a) motivation for quests b) way to get over
death c) way to punish death and d) a way of having infinite lives "fit
in"...