[MUD-Dev] Diku & GPL

Jon Lambert tychomud at ix.netcom.com
Thu Dec 7 00:48:49 CET 2000

Richard.Woolcock at rsuk.rohde-schwarz.com wrote:
> Jon A. Lambert wrote:
>
> I think you misunderstand Patrick.  I believe what he is saying is that
> if the Diku team choose to re-release Diku under the GPL, people who are
> using the Diku code will be able to choose which license they would
> rather use.

Whoops!  I think I did.  Sorry Patrick.
Yes if Diku was re-released under GPL.
Each derivative, Circle, Merc, etc. would also have to re-release under
GPL.

> And I believe this is referring to the authors of the various Diku
> derivatives.  For example if Diku re-released under GPL, then Merc could
> choose to also re-release under GPL if they wished.  If they did that,
> then I could re-release GodWars under GPL - which means that anyone
> using my GodWars codebase could choose either license.  Say (for example)
> Russ Taylor decided that he didn't want to re-release ROM under GPL, even
> if the Merc and Diku teams had done so, then nobody using ROM could choose
> to use GPL, and the author of ROT couldn't redistribute under GPL either.

Yes I agree with that.
The GPL has to percolate down the derivative tree.  :-)

--
--* Jon A. Lambert - TychoMUD        Email:jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com *--
--* Mud Server Developer's Page <http://tychomud.home.netcom.com> *--