[MUD-Dev] \"An essay on d00dism and the MMORPG\"

Bruce bruce at puremagic.com
Sat Dec 2 19:06:49 CET 2000

John Buehler wrote:
> This particular data can sit on the client side because
> it is presentation data.  The 'true' identity of a
> character can be stored on the server as some 32-bit
> quantity, then encrypted uniquely for each client whenever
> a character identity needs to be transmitted to that
> client.  The encryption process must be stable, of course.
> The client then sees a set of numeric identities, but
> which are different from all other clients, and the client
> can store the text strings of the character names that
> correspond.

There was a thread discussing Introduction systems in general and
this concept in particular (among others) in July of 2000.

Nathan Clemons starts the thread:
http://www.kanga.nu/archives/MUD-Dev-L/2000Q3/msg00097.php

JC brings up many of the issues involved:
http://www.kanga.nu/archives/MUD-Dev-L/2000Q3/msg00108.php

Adam mentions that some LPs use namespace systems:
http://www.kanga.nu/archives/MUD-Dev-L/2000Q3/msg00117.php

I originally bring up client-local data:
http://www.kanga.nu/archives/MUD-Dev-L/2000Q3/msg00118.php

Eli Stevens points out security problems:
http://www.kanga.nu/archives/MUD-Dev-L/2000Q3/msg00123.php

JC brings up one-way functions:
http://www.kanga.nu/archives/MUD-Dev-L/2000Q3/msg00126.php

 - Bruce