[MUD-Dev] \"An essay on d00dism and the MMORPG\"

Ted Milker tmilker at radiks.net
Sat Dec 2 11:12:31 CET 2000

On Sat, Dec 02, 2000 at 01:50:46PM +1100, KevinL wrote:
> Storing an extra data item per person you choose to label?  It'll increase it
> somewhat, but firstly I'm guessing most people won't bother naming most other
> people - they'll remember the ones that are important to them, think maybe 30
> or 40 people, up to about a hundred at max.

I don't know, I think I'd be using it for every "AzZmASSterD" I
saw.  That list could get up into the hundreds pretty easily with
the games around nowadays.  I think it'd be neat if the next
generation MMORPG allowed unlimited use of this feature(maybe
storing names locally, unless the admins really have a problem
with people trading lists) and allow random generation of new
labels.  Then I could just highlight a name that is offensive,
out of fiction, etc and change it myself or click Generate and it
comes with an appropriate fantasy name(plenty of generators out
there).

Ted