[MUD-Dev] \"An essay on d00dism and the MMORPG\"

John Buehler johnbue at msn.com
Sat Dec 2 03:58:33 CET 2000

Vincent Archer writes:

> First trap: Local namespaces mean a N-squared storage for names. Each
> name label is associated not only with the entity it refers to, but also
> you, giving a matrix, not a list.

I addressed this in another post.  Move the name list to the client.

> Second trap: Non absolute naming work well when you have a small community
> of players. The larger the community, the more cumbersome it becomes. What
> you have described needs a command or skill or whatever. It is impossible
> to know about someone just thru conversation.
>
> It's a half trap, I concede. In a primarily role-play environment, it
> could work well.

It's impossible to know about someone just through conversation?  What does
that mean?  "Hi, my name is Tormanth".  I click on you, type /name this
"Tormanth" and I'm done.  Or the word "Tormanth" is highlighted and I just
click on that, and the association is made.  It can be made pretty
lightweight, if that's your concern.

I'm just trying to mimic real world processes as much as they can be made to
apply.  That, in order to get real world effects.  Go to a party and you see
some people you recognize, others that you do not.  If you don't know
someone, you don't just walk up to them and start using their name.

> You still haven't given to me a way of giving OOC identification. I'm not
> talking about reporting d00d (even if this thread started as this). I'm
> talking about this:
>
> > From: soandso at xxxxx.com
> > To: buddy at yyyyy.net
> > Subject: Ok, I jumped the gun
> >
> > I've created a character in that game you told me about. I'm
> Xyzzy, what's
> > your name in it?
>
> Having that form of communication is invaluable, notably when the game is
> large. If you do not provide a way that Xyzzy (soandso) can check that
> Merlin (buddy) is on line without them having first met, then you require
> them to use an OOM (Out of Medium) way of synchronising: they need to
> use ICQ, or whatever, and so on.

Um, how about checking to see if a given PLAYER is on and talk to the PLAYER
using the OUT OF CHARACTER communication mechanism?

> The best compromise is a filter: you have absolute names by default, and
> can overlay some names by your own label. The trap then is that you'll
> tend to assume from habit that these local "nicknames" are really the name
> of the people, and cause confusion by referring to that asshole "Hank"
> when no one knows any "hank" in game.

While I can imagine that happening, I'm afraid this point isn't going to
slow down my enthusiasm for the approach.

> > But if you DO start a new character and you want to track down your old
> > buddies, you just arrange to meet with them in the world and get
> > introductions started.
>
> That's RPing.

Not if you don't want it to be.  It's just a game mechanism that you use to
get labels set over your head.  Having to go off and kill things is
roleplaying.  Having to interact with merchants is roleplaying.  Everything
that you do within the game context is roleplaying after a fashion.

> > You also made mention of recognition at the beginning.  I'm not
> quite sure
> > why.  That's why the little floating name thing remains in the
> game, even
> > with an introduction system.  Your CHARACTER recognizes another
> character
> > and the little name pops up.  If your character doesn't
> recognize the other,
> > then no name appears, even if the PLAYER recognizes the character.  Or
> > thinks so.
>
> That's RPing.

Again, pishtosh.  That's a game mechanism.  Your expectations are such that
you assume that the little labels are floating over everyone's heads and the
game experience extends out from that.  I don't have a whit of a problem
saying that finding out who someone is is part of the game, just like
killing stuff is part of the game.  Or FINDING someone in the game world.
You don't just instantly teleport to another player's location unless you
have the magical ability to do so - a roleplaying concession.  You have to
run or walk or whatever.  That's roleplaying in the same way that having to
ask someone their name is roleplaying.

JB