[MUD-Dev] Copyright Question for the Hobbyists

Marc Bowden ryumo at merit.edu
Thu Aug 31 23:23:39 CEST 2000

--On Wednesday, August 30, 2000 17:22 -0500 "Kristen L. Koster"
<koster at eden.com> wrote:

> How do you handle the issue of copyright ownership on contributions
> made to your hobbyist game? I'm thinking specifically area files and
> code as well as web and other documentation content here by unpaid
> staff.

  Work done within their personal directories and not at the direction
of the administration as part of a collateral job is theirs; they can
walk with it at any time. Peoples' areas and contributed races and
skills fall under this heading, although the corporation is allowed to
keep a copy of the files necessary to maintain existing race
members/skill users, but not allow new members of the race to be
created or to learn the withdrawn skill. Work that IS done as part of a
collateral job and/or done specifically for the purpose of
full-distribution inclusion is property of the corporation. (This is
usually rotated out of a person's /w/ directory and so are easier to
distinguish than you might think.)

Marc Bowden - Soulsinger         Dreamshadow:The Legacy of the Three
  ryumo at merit.edu                                 206.246.120.2 3333