[MUD-Dev] Transportation (was: UO rants)

Dan Merillat harik at chaos.ao.net
Tue Aug 29 16:57:33 CEST 2000

Patrick Dughi writes:
> 	Maybe this isn't so bad - after all, it's only so novel for so
> long.  By the time they find friends with the autowalk script, they've
> probably done it at least once... but still, anything that can be
> auto-scripted means that my game is better played by a program than a
> person... is there a good way to stop this sort of thing?

It's players playing meta-games in the end.  Is their scripting ability
better then your ability to curb it.  Can they level faster with
a script then on their own?

I have a friend at work who plays his mud all day.  It dosn't impact his
ability to work because he runs a script.  His only real interaction is
watching for a message window to pop up (gods checking for scripters)

Mind you, I don't really have a problem with that.  My beef is that he
bought the program. (or downloaded it)   Suddenly his ability to play
dosn't matter.  Just his ability to download a client that can.

Nothing we can do will really stop that, though.  Any text can be parsed,
any packet protocol analyzed.  Weither it's quake aiming proxies or
tintin scripts, it'll be done.

I question also weither making player skill more important then character
stats will curb the problem.

I havn't played Achea enough to know.  Matt?  Are high level players
easy to 'augment' by scripts?  Or since that only really applies to
combat is it a moot point for you?

--Dan