Fraud (was: Re: [MUD-Dev] UO rants)

John Buehler johnbue at email.msn.com
Tue Aug 29 14:59:49 CEST 2000

> Brian 'Psychochild' Green
> Sent: Tuesday, August 29, 2000 12:42 PM

> John Buehler wrote:
>
> > I was referring to effective banning.  Eventually, a player will
> run out of
> > real life identities that they can borrow.  Kids can use each of their
> > parents, maybe other relatives and friends' parents, but it's a
> limited set.
>
> No, they won't.  I have constantly made up names for those pages that
> require registration in order to get into certain parts of a WWW site.
> My favorite pseudonym is "Patricia Childs" (it comes from my old college
> username, pchild).  The "problem" is not game anonymity, but Internet
> anonymity.  And, there are a *lot* of people with a vested interest in
> keeping the Internet anonymous.

'Effective' banning means knowing who the player is in the real world.
Electronic identity is indeed the real issue, and it must be solved before I'd
go anywhere near being a provider of an electronic service.

There are lots of people with a vested interest in keeping the internet
anonymous.  Let them offer and use anonymous services.  But let there also at
least be infrastructure that permits service providers to require a user
identity.  Users who don't care to provide their identity can skip over those
services.

JB