[MUD-Dev] UO rants

Paul Schwanz - Enterprise Services Paul.Schwanz at east.sun.com
Mon Aug 28 16:37:14 CEST 2000

> From: Matthew Mihaly <the_logos at achaea.com>

> I really don't understand this. If you want to keep players uninterested
> in 'criminal' acts, why code in the ability for them to commit criminal
> acts? It seems like a massive waste of time to design and implement
> features that you want to actively discourage the players from using.

While I'm sure we'd all like to avoid the political discussions that this post
could inspire, I see the inclusion of 'criminal' acts as a deterrent not unlike
a nuclear weapon.  No one really wants to use it because of the ugliness and
consequences, but having it there can curb some of the lesser forms of ugliness
that might have free rein in its absence.

Someone once said that a surprising amount of courtesy is rooted in the
knowledge that anyone can punch me in the mouth if I become too rude.  Now I
think that it is important to have dire consequences for punching someone else
in the mouth.  We should actively discourage this kind of action.  However, the
very possibility that someone can resort to this action if pushed too far could
make the world a better place.

Anyway, that's the theory.

--Phinehas

		"All things are permissible,