[MUD-Dev] Reputation & Trust Circles [was UO rants]

Paul Schwanz - Enterprise Services Paul.Schwanz at east.sun.com
Mon Aug 28 13:28:24 CEST 2000

> From: "Ben" <bjchambers at phoenixdsl.com>

> "Paul Schwanz - Enterprise Services" <Paul.Schwanz at east.sun.com>
> >
> > > From: "Ben" <bjchambers at phoenixdsl.com>
> >
> > > The only possible way of making the whole thing work is having a more
> > > complex system.  Picking up something a monster threw on the ground,
> would
> > > not constitute bad. Picking up something someone dropped when they died
> > > would.  There would have to be a way of distinguishing this.  The action
> of
> > > picking something up, would only be bad if certain things were true
> about
> > > what was being picked up, and who was doing the picking up.  This would
> > > require more in-depth programming, but would in the end result in much
> more
> > > realism.  But you then make a choice... is something still known to have
> > > happened, if no one was there to see it???
> > >

> > We have forensics and such to address this very thing in real life.  It is
> often
> > possible for an action to become known apart from eyewitness accounts, but
> based
> > on physical evidence.  Of course, modeling a forensic skill and some form
> of
> > physical evidence then requires even more in-depth programming.
> >
> > --Phinehas
> >

> True, but the thing is, if they are still fighting with swords, they
> wouldn't have much of a forensic science to start with.

Forensics doesn not have to be limited to hair fibers and DNA.  Even in medieval
times, things such a hoofprints, blood, unique items or other types of physical
evidence could help finger the perpetrator.  And of course, a fantasy world with
magic opens up all types of extraordinary methods for determining guilt without
an eyewitness.

--Phinehas

		"All things are permissible,
			but not all things are expedient."