[MUD-Dev] UO rants

Vincent Archer archer at nevrax.com
Sun Aug 27 20:05:36 CEST 2000

According to Koster, Raph:
> Horizons and (I believe) Atriarch rely on racial teams. Shadowbane is taking
> the more sophisticated approach of having the teams be purely
> player-driven--essentially very large guilds with the ability to hold
> territory.

Atriarch is still too closed regarding what kind of gameplay they
are creating to have a good idea of what they'll do. The Atriarch
title, notably, may or may not be tied with races (i.e. one atriarch
per race only). Unless I've missed something hidden deep in one remote
FAQ unreferenced on their site :)

> > What? Somebody is still playing text only muds?
> > (ducks and runs away quickly)
>
> Heh. Well, IMHO, if the graphical developers paid more attention to text
> muds, they'd by and large realize they're not as innovative as they think.
> (I can get away with saying that without giving offense, I hope, because I
> am one of them!)

Speaking as someone whose home site was fed rec.games.mud.* years ago
(the only other rec hierarchy at the time being rec.arts.sf), I'm
more or less aware of what's out there. Not as much as others here,
but I'm still listening :)

Alas, I'm not developper, I'm only the guy who's going to manage
"software planning" (whatever that means), i.e. find out exactly what
the game developpers want, and translate it into something the
programmers understand :)

	Vincent Archer			Email:	archer at frmug.org

All men are mortal.  Socrates was mortal.  Therefore, all men are Socrates.
							(Woody Allen)