[MUD-Dev] Reputation & Trust Circles [was UO rants]

KevinL darius at bofh.net.au
Thu Aug 24 16:30:01 CEST 2000

>>> "Milne, Alistair" wrote
> Joe Andrieu wrote
>
> > Has anyone considered thinking about this in terms of trust circles
> > rather than as a global collective decision?
>
> Unless I'm missing the point (hehe, likely) wouldn't you still need to
> attach a global good/bad rating to each action, and then set the good/bad
> rating of each trust circle to determine how they'd react to seeing a given
> action?  You're in the same situation as before, needing to arbitrate about
> how good or bad everything is.  All you've achieved is that now you have
> different mobs reacting to your actions in different ways.

Sorta.  In the player circle area, you let players assign levels of trust in
each other, and then let them rate other people accordingly - hell, throw in
several different scales ("he's really honourable, so that's a 8/10, but he's
not very impressive, so that's only a 4/10").  Then the ratings of various
people you trust get scaled according to how much you trust them, and presto.

In the NPC case, things get more automated and less useful, yeah - but chances
are, players aren't going to trust what an NPC thinks of other people very
much, if at all.

First step would be to get a system like this in place, then watch what
happens to the trust metrics - could be a good tool for measuring how well
you've done NPC judgement of players in itself.

KevinL