[MUD-Dev] UO rants

John Buehler johnbue at email.msn.com
Wed Aug 23 19:58:26 CEST 2000

> Shawn L Johnston
> Sent: Tuesday, August 22, 2000 6:41 PM

> I think your getting into an even broader debate, which is how much of an
> online game should be a simulation of reality. I would argue that part of
> the (personal) appeal of an online game is that its society exists as
> seperate from that of the real world and that you can roleplay events and
> actions that you would not have the opportunity to do in the real world.

Broad debates are my bread and butter.  If the fundamental assumptions are
wrong or flawed, the arguments about the details are a bit pointless.

> While I would not advocate a system that allows players to completely run
> over each other, I don't think you want to impose upon players a system
> with a strict moral code that results in crippling players' opportunities
> for interaction with each other (especially including conflict).

Game designers pick a 'moral code' whenever they design a game.  They say
what can and cannot be done.  These games are predicated in playing up
conflict, yet the most basic of consequences of that conflict are not
part of the game world.  The player doesn't hear the crunch of his mace
on bone, or the slicing sound of a sword passing through flesh, or the
look of surprise and alarm on a victim's face when they are killed, or
the sounds, smells and sights of a battle in reality.  The imposition of
a stricter 'moral code' is suggested so that players have artificial
checks and balances to stand in the place of the true checks and balances
that exist in real life.

In real life, when you die, you don't come back.  Put THAT into the game
and see how many people flock to your game that permits PvP.  There's a
bit of the real world 'moral code'.

JB