[MUD-Dev] UO rants

Jeff Freeman skeptack at antisocial.com
Wed Aug 23 16:33:35 CEST 2000

At 07:25 PM 8/23/00 +0000, Matthew Mihaly wrote:
>I think one of the differences here is that I don't do games focussed on
>player vs. NPC. I'm really only interested in games that focus on Player
>vs. Player conflict, in all its forms (competitive politics, economics,
>combat, war, etc), and if all the players get lovey-dovey with each other,
>life would be very boring.

Is there really much chance of that happening anyway?  Serious question.  I
recently turned the reigns of Happy Sunshine Joy Fun World over to someone
else, and I'm working on a more PvP-oriented thing.  Thus far, all the
players are planning on working together, all for the common good, crushing
evildoers and annoying twinks, and in the end having Happy Sunshine Joy Fun
World part II (with this Utopia being the result of them making and
enforcing their own rules, versus commandments from above).

I think they're going to be at each other's throats in a matter of days.
It never occurred to me that they might actually succeed (at least not
globally, nor for any length of time).

Is it possible to have a MUD which allows PvP (as in, no PK switch, even)
and yet doesn't have any?

--
  http://home.swbell.net/skeptack/