[MUD-Dev] Re: UO rants

Matthew Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Tue Aug 22 18:31:38 CEST 2000

<a paragraph from Norman Short snipped about how the Ultima property was
ruined by Ultima Online>

Unfortunately, I think we can expect that to be par for the course with
licenses and massively multiplayer worlds. It happened with Ultima. Sierra
completely mucked up the Tolkien license and wasn't even able to deliver a
decent friggin' game on time. I shudder to see Star Wars Online. In their
defence though, I don't put the blame on the large commercial designers
though. They are under a mandate (presumably either explicit or implied)
to make money for their employers. If that means destroying a well-loved
property, well, so be it. Really, it's just the sort of thing you'd expect
from EA. *starts ranting about how incredibly lame it is that EA is
shutting down both Meridian 59 and Kesmai*

--matt
"He that is wounded in the testicles, or have his penis cut off, shall not
enter into the congregation of the Lord." Deuteronomy 23:1