[MUD-Dev] UO rants

Wes Connell wconnell at skotos.net
Mon Aug 21 13:14:07 CEST 2000

On Mon, 21 Aug 2000, Norman Short wrote:

> I hate to say it...but he's right.  I wrote much the same thing to Raph long
> ago when he was lead designer of UO.  For an Ultima fan this dark,
> gangsta-ized "Outer Limits" version of Britannia could rightfully be called
> "hell".  It's too bad they wasted the Ultima name and license on a game that
> had no intention of being one.

All the information in that rant is correct to a point. In the
introduction to UO, Mondain is destroyed and the crystal he had was
shattered. In each 'shard' a new Sosaria is created and continues on a
totally different time skew than the other 'shards'. This gave OSI a
strong foundation to base the 'shard' server setup on. This foundation
could also be used to explain why things on UO are different than the
normal single-player timeline.

Though it would have been cool to have a neato virtue system and have
everything totally fit the timeline.