[MUD-Dev] Law of Resource Congestion

Matthew Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Fri Aug 11 13:01:41 CEST 2000

On Thu, 10 Aug 2000, Nathan F. Yospe wrote:

<snip snip snip>

> I think he wants to create unique looking items.  I don't find that all
> that reasonable, however.  Most swords look alike.

Most swords may look alike (well, most foils look similar, most
broadswords look similar, etc) but that's not really relevant to this
discussion, I think. If the players want unique-looking items, then it is
entirely reasonable that every player have unique looking items (I don't
actually give all players unique-looking items, as uniqueness has value,
and thus we charge for unique descriptions, but you see my point I'm
sure.)

I don't really ever give any credit to any design argument whose basis is
"Well, it's this way in reality." Fun, not simulation.

> That's something I never bothered with.  Let the players themselves learn
> archaeology and history; I'll merely support preservation of state, to an
> explicably reasonable degree.  That famous sword would probably not be as
> recognizable after lava and rust had deformed it...

But again, so what if lava and rust would mess it up in reality? Muds are
not reality. (Granted, I realize that you, Nathan, try to simulate
reality, but I must respectfully question whether a mud that attempts to
simulate reality as strictly as you seem to want to will ever get any
significant playerbase.)

--matt
"He that is wounded in the testicles, or have his penis cut off, shall not
enter into the congregation of the Lord." Deuteronomy 23:1