[MUD-Dev] The Player Wimping Guidebook

Matt Chatterley chattemp at ee.port.ac.uk
Thu Aug 3 11:45:50 CEST 2000

On Wed, 2 Aug 2000, J C Lawrence wrote:

> On Tue, 1 Aug 2000 06:37:11 +0000 (GMT)
> Matthew Mihaly <the_logos at achaea.com> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 31 Jul 2000, J C Lawrence wrote:
> >> Wiping: is the act of doing a player file wipe. This destroys all
> >> player information, including hours played, gold collected,
> >> equipment earned, and all other facets of the character. It may
> >> or may not include the player's name.
>
> > People actually DO this?? I always thought player wipes were just
> > a joke threat, like the boogie man is to children.
>
> Not even close.  Read the Lorry documents for an early view.

The only time that I've actually used a game-wide pwipe has been
inbetween testing stages where vast and reaching changes have occured
(generally these cause old pfiles to be incompatible with the new code).

Of course, specific players have been wiped, but generally they've been
locked out completely as well.

-- Matt Chatterley
".. You live for the fight, when its all that you've got .."
		Jon Bon Jovi; Livin' on a Prayer, as always.