[MUD-Dev] On Lockless Threading and X/Open XA

Bruce bruce at puremagic.com
Tue Aug 1 00:50:11 CEST 2000

Greg Underwood wrote:
> Bruce <bruce at puremagic.com> writes:
> My initial thought would be to have the 2PC be the commit part
> of the C&C.
> Any reason something that simple wouldn't work?
>
> It's been a while since I did an in-depth read on either protocol, but I
> don't think 2PC is necessarily anathma to a C&C approach.  IIRC, what it
> buys you is the ability to rollback failed, partial commits.

I'm incredibly tired, so I'll reply to this tomorrow hopefully.

> Mind if I ask a design question?  Why such a complicated back end?
> All the
> MUDs I've played on have had much simpler systems, and seemed to
> run just
> fine.  Was I missing out?  :)

I'm not really building the average or typical backend.  I've got a
fairly high target in terms of scalability and performance numbers that
I need to meet.  I'd rather be sure that I'm meeting it reliably, than
have any doubts.  I also hope to end up seeing other people use this
backend, so while I might be happy to code something that happens to
work with my choice of tools, I'd rather invest the effort and use what
standards I can to make it interoperate with a variety of other products
on the market.

I suspect an interesting analysis could be made of the way that backend
design changes as you scale from supporting 50 to 500 to 5000 to 50k
players in a single world.

 - Bruce