[MUD-Dev] Alignment

Malcolm Valentine spin at fastlink.com.au
Sun Apr 30 02:27:57 CEST 2000

Paul Schwanz wrote:
> Malcolm Valentine wrote:
> >   Isn't adding all these terms just compounding the problem?
>
> That depends entirely on what you believe the problem to be.  :-)  Strangely
> enough, the terms "evil" and "good" are perfectly adequate in describing
> alignment which is only concerned with evil and good.  But if we confine
> ourselves to only these two adjectives when describing characters, should
> we be surprised that our players don't think too deeply about who their
> characters really are?  Are they simply an evil thief, or are they a greedy,
> secretive thief who is loyal to friends and not devoid of respect for life?
> Which thief do you want your players to play and how will you encourage
> them to play it?

  This is a very good point, but still further complicates the issues.
<snipped>
> >   On my mud, killing is an evil act. Just starting combat will cause
> > your alignment to fall. There are of course problems with this.
> >
> > Alignment conundrum #29863: Killing is evil, but that nasty dragon is
> > just about to eat the good princess...
>
> Solution #29863:  Use the wonderful properties of multiplying signed
> integers. Killing is evil (-).   Killing is _very_ evil (-5).  Dragon is
> evil (-).  Dragon is _quite_ evil (-3).  Princess is _very_ good (+5).
> Killing the dragon is now _extremely_ good (-5 * -3 = +15), but killing
> the princess is _supremely_ evil (-5 * +5 = -25).

  Unfortunately two wrongs don't make a right. Even worse, if I do a good
deed (+) to an evil creature (-), that counts as evil-doing...

<snipped>

> >   Finally, I'd like to re-iterate the Alignment solution #0;
> >
> >   "I've killed everyone that disagreed with me, therefore I'm right and
> > good."
>
> That is a perfectly legitimate solution which will, of course, obviate the
> discussion.  However, my personal opinion is that this solution will
> encourage PK in a HnS type of game.  If that's your aim, then I can see how
> this whole discussion might seem ludicrous to you.  My goal has been to
<snipped>

  Actually this was a dig at real world sentiments, well documented in any
history book, and still actively practised in many places around the world
today.

Cheers,
  Malcolm Valentine.