[MUD-Dev] "The client is in the hands of the enemy"

Zak Jarvis zak at voidmonster.com
Sat Apr 29 01:40:56 CEST 2000

First an aside. From my perspective (largely as an artist), they've got the
best concept art I've seen from any multi-player game. Just the few
drawings they have makes me want to play their game. Of course, it's also a
game I'm interested in because my wife and I came up with a very similar
idea independently about 4 years ago, but never had the
resources/inclination/opportunity to develop it. I still think it's a good
idea.

As for the client, it seems entirely logical that the client would be
opened up to the players to an extent. The perfect client software is
software the players can do anything they damn well choose with and not
break the game.

The *client software* is the enemy. The players are just a force of nature.

It's an interesting idea too, to let the players build on the client. I'm
glad I'm not the one designing it though, that's gonna be tough.

-Zak Jarvis
 (He Who Once Hacked Every Savegame Generated)
 http://www.voidmonster.com