[MUD-Dev] Simpson's "In-Game Economics of UO"

adam at treyarch.com adam at treyarch.com
Fri Apr 28 16:30:16 CEST 2000

On Fri, 28 Apr 2000, Caliban Tiresias Darklock wrote:
> Paul Schwanz - Enterprise Services wrote:
> > Or perhaps give the gamer the choice to have the
> > character remain in game or not.
>
> I love the way little offhand remarks can spark big things. This is
> among the coolest simple ideas I've seen. I'm going to steal it and play
> with it a little, and see if it flies theoretically.

Indeed.  The simple implementation would be to have it so that you can
"rent" in an inn and get a safe, invulnerable room - but for a fee; or,
you can "quit" anywhere, but your character stays in the game and is
vulnerable to attack.  They also will continue doing whatever task you
have set them at, such as creating an item.

I would tend to think that a side effect of this system would be that
people would just leave their characters logged in in a background window,
with triggers set up to beep at them if they get attacked or whatever.
I don't see this as a bad thing at all, except for perhaps encouraging
multiplaying.  Or if you're a commercial service where you want to *minimize*
the amount of time that people spend online.

Adam