[MUD-Dev] Justifying twinking

Caliban Tiresias Darklock caliban at darklock.com
Fri Apr 28 12:34:56 CEST 2000

"Travis S. Casey" wrote:

> (I'll note that comedy often uses such implausible things specifically
> *to* prevent such an emotional connection.  If we felt emotionally
> connected to the heroes in, say, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, we'd be
> concerned about them when they fought things, which would prevent us from
> being able to laugh at them.  If the fight with the killer rabbit were
> with, say, an axe-wielding troll instead, it wouldn't seem nearly as
> funny, even if all the dialog and action were otherwise the same.)

A related problem: building areas is tedious and boring, and builders
are sorely tempted to make stupid jokes. Hardly a MUD exists in which
the aforementioned killer rabbit doesn't stalk at least *one* of the
areas. I, for one, never attack rabbits on MUDs and tend to avoid any
place where I've seen one.