[MUD-Dev] Search engine and thread managing

J C Lawrence claw at cp.net
Thu Apr 27 18:30:33 CEST 2000

<<This should really continue on the Meta list -- so I've cross this
post there>>

On Sat, 22 Apr 2000 20:49:08 +0200
Garin  <iso-8859-1> wrote:

> To Mister JC Laurence :o)

<kof>

Lawrence.

> is it possible to get a discussion continuity in the archive
> (Possibility to get all the message relate to a same thread in one
> file?) as you get in gamasutra.

Not directly.  The thread index in the archives will presents, in a
somehwat consolidated fashion, all the messages within a thread
within a given quarter, but that is a bit of a different thing.
Certainly it is not a single file, or even a prepared group of
files.

> And more ambitious an Concept base search engine. I know if you
> look to the amount of work you already spent on this free job,
> i'am a bit irevealent by asking such think but i'm a bit frustate
> by the fact that this mailling list contain very great idea and i
> had to spend hour of my Free time to acces it (I accept to by all
> virtual object which can reduce this time :o)

This is something that is sorely needed.  The archives have become
so large as to be unmanagmeable.  Further, threads themselves are
often not as valuable as they might be as "concept concentrations"
due to the fact that concepts migrate across threads, appearing
willy-nilly here and there as something sparks some relevance to the
concept in the current thread (the concept of "neighborhoods" is
famous in my mind for doing this)..

  Jon Lambert and Marian have assemlbled a some thread summaries
(great kudos goes to them), but most threads and topics have no such
meta documentation.

I have some ideas on how to address this, with most of a design laid
out for it (think of the Library, but with more local
inter-relations, annotations, and something of "viewpoints" so a
single topic can have multiple frames of reference).  The problem is
that I'm lacking the time and the negery to put it into action.

> Despite this little "remarque" thanks a lot for your great job
> Mister JC Laurence (and all other...)

You are more than welcome.

J C Lawrence                              Internet: claw at kanga.nu
----------(*)                            Internet: coder at kanga.nu
...Honorary Member of Clan McFud -- Teamer's Avenging Monolith...