[MUD-Dev] attracting players

Mud Imp pkme at hub.cyberwizards.com
Wed Apr 26 11:05:37 CEST 2000

> On Tue, 25 Apr 2000, David Bennett wrote:
>
> Critical mass is definately the key...  Once Discworld got over a certain
> threshold of people it grew significantly faster.  As to what gets the
> critical mass in the first place...  Lots of things.  Some muds with a
> trully horrible inteface and really interefering admins manage it, others
> with a nice looking descriptions and nice admins don't.  You need
> something to make yourself stand out and a way to keep players hooked once
> they are there (initially).  In the case of Discworld this was obviously
> the books...  There are other methods though, advertising is one.
> Although I found this to have limited effectiveness.

I forgot to mention that the mud has been up online for 5 years. And what
I see frequently happen when I get any newbies at all is they log in, do a
who and drop link or they log in, gossip something igorning the starting
room's message that there are no mud wide channels other than ooc and that
they are in a quiet room, then drop link. They never even look at the mud
to see what it has. Its on cyberwizards.com 9000 if anyone wants to take a
look.