[MUD-Dev] MUME poll results (fwd)

Charles Hughes charles.hughes at bigfoot.com
Tue Apr 25 15:03:40 CEST 2000

Raph Koster wrote:
> Christopher Allen wrote:
> > Is anyone familiar with [MUME]? They appear to be using
> > muddle, which I'm not

I think (and I could easily be wrong) that muddle (mudlle?) was
created at MUME.

> > familiar with -- is it more mush-like or more mud-like?

It's a derivative of Diku, so mud-like.

> I believe it is in the FAQ as a "key mud to look at." It's one of the
> progenitors of the "whities vs darkies" subgenre of muds (team-based PvP).
> One of the commonest events is "All darkies gather to invade the township
of
> Bree! All whities, defend the gates!." It's always been one of the most
> popular and most respected muds. It's set in Middle-Earth (Tolkien). I
> played it briefly many years ago. I don't know what codebase they are
using,
> but it's been heavily modified over many years (It's been around for a

Heavily modified Diku.

> loooong time... at least six years to my personal knowledge, almost
> certainly more).

Longer.  I've played it, off and on, since late 91. (And while I freely
admit to sucking as a pker, that's not why I play it.)  It started in late
1989 I think.  I played in version II, and it is now at version VII.

> One of the most atmospheric muds I've played, certainly.

Few of the people who play are role players - it is mostly a hack n slash
mud.  However, a minor contingent does attempt to role play.  My playing
is mostly as a role player of Thrud, and though I do a fair amount of hack n
slash, I have the most fun attempting to roleplay.

Visit sometime... fire.pvv.org:4242