[MUD-Dev] selling Godhoods

Matthew Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Tue Apr 25 06:22:38 CEST 2000

On Mon, 24 Apr 2000, Ananda Dawnsinger wrote:

> My experience with the folks who are able and willing to pay $3000 for
> "character advancement" is that most are quite likely to happily walk away
> from their "investment" once the novelty wears off and the reality of
> customer service sets in.  Perhaps they'll just have their character
> transferred to a competing service, easing the pain of "losing their
> investment."

How can they have their character transferred to a competing service? It's
not as if we have deals with any competing services to allow people to
transfer characters (though that's a fairly interesting idea).

> And a $3000 deposit really isn't sufficient to protect good Gods from
> burnout.  No amount of money is.  When a player gets burned out, he will
> walk -- if he's smart; otherwise he'll either explode into caustic pieces,
> or he'll fade away to the accompaniment of mumbled promises to log in more
> often.

Could be. I'm not committed to this idea, but I am committed to the idea
that when it comes to massively multiplayer environments, anyone who
thinks he or she can just use "reason" to come up with a solution has no
clue. Experimentation is the only way to find out if something is going to
work or not.

> Maybe it would be more effective to think of it (and promote it) as a
> donation to the health and well-being of Achaea, or as insurance against the
> harm that a flaky God can do?  After all, if need be, you can take that
> $3000 and hire somebody to play God for a month or two...

Well, it IS insurance in a way against flakey Gods, because it's my belief
people will be more careful with the God if they've paid a lot of moeny
for it. I know that if I paid for a car, I'd be more careful with it than
if it was given to me. In fact, real-life example are the differences in
the way that people I've known who had had to pay for college have treated
their educations when compared to the way that people whose parents paid
for their educations treated said education.

--matt