[MUD-Dev] defeating twinking through game mechanics

Travis Casey efindel at io.com
Sun Apr 23 21:30:07 CEST 2000

On Friday, April 21, 2000, Paul Schwanz - Enterprise Services wrote:

> Along the same lines of danger, why not simply make a weopon inherently
> dangerous to the user who doesn't have the skill to handle it?  For example, if
> Bubba the newbie tries to get too fancy with a razor-sharp mithril mega-sword,
> he may accidently cut his own hand off.  Or if Buffy the weakling tries to load
> a bolt into her 200 lb. ultra-cool crossbow, she might end up shooting herself
> in the foot.  If you made this random, then the gamer might have some
> interesting choices to make as he gains skill.  When he's in a tough spot, does
> he gamble with a really cool item hoping he'll have enough skill to do more
> damage to his foe than to himself?

The paper Star Wars RPG has things set up so that someone with a low
lightsaber skill trying to use one is a menace to him/herself.
Shadowrun does something similar with monomolecular filament whips.

In the general case, though, it's not very realistic.  That's only a
concern if you're worried about realism, though.  :-)

--
       |\      _,,,---,,_        Travis S. Casey  <efindel at io.com>