[MUD-Dev] Re: MUD-Dev request rejected

Jeff Freeman SkeptAck at antisocial.com
Wed Apr 19 23:40:29 CEST 2000

>Raph Koster wrote:
>> If admins see themselves as above the community, do they have any
>> responsibilities towards the community whatsoever?
>
>No.  But neither do the players have a responsibility to the admin.

I think I disagree here.  There is, if not an explicit agreement, at least
an implied agreement that you won't (say) destroy the world tomorrow.  The
players have agreed to come play in it, based at least in part on that
(implied) agreement.

If I posted "Come play, have fun, I might take down the mud tomorrow" then
the players, I think, wouldn't bother coming.  They're assuming I won't do
that, and coming to play based on that assumption.  What's more - I know
that they're coming to play based on that assumption.  I think that does
impart a bit of responsibility on my part not to destroy the world tomorrow
since, essentially, that was our agreement from the start.

That's not even to address the commercial muds.  Pay $60 for a game
expecting to play it for months and months, but they take it down after a
month?  Might be legally within their rights to do so, but I think most of
their players would feel that the company in question didn't fulfill an
obligation to its customers.

But even on free muds, the same obligation is there, I think.