[MUD-Dev] The scalability of paying for in-game things

Matthew Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Mon Apr 17 21:53:48 CEST 2000

So it strikes me that this entire argument about paying for
skills/items/events in-game has to revolve around scalability. There is
absolutely no doubt that it works on a smaller scale, as evidenced by the
success of Achaea and Avalon both (avalon didn't have a pay-for-item
setup, but you paid for your skills. I believe they have now gone
flat-rate, and are making nearly no money because of it.)

Therefore, given that it DOES work on some scale, it seems to me that the
only way you can demonstrate it wouldn't work on a larger scale would be
to identify factors which would accelerate costs faster than benefits to
the game accrue as you grow. If this can't be done, then I really don't
see how you can reasonably claim it won't work.

--matt