[MUD-Dev] Declaration of the Rights of Avatars

Matthew Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Mon Apr 17 19:57:22 CEST 2000

On Mon, 17 Apr 2000, Par Winzell wrote:

> Matthew Mihaly writes:
>  > On Sun, 16 Apr 2000, Par Winzell wrote:
>  > > Achaea fascinates me because it combines the commercial setting with an
>  > > administration style much like this. This gives me hope. Does it scale?
>  >
>  > Hmm, well, I think that it DOES scale, because as much as they pretend
>  > otherwise, this is just how the big MMORPGs operate. To me, all the talk
>  > of empowering the users is just a PR job. The admins have the power, end
>  > of story.
>
> Undoubtedly what you say about the PR job is true, however, I do not think
> any of the existing massive games constitute proofs that your principle is
> well-behaved when scaled. The admins certainly do have the power, but there
> is not nearly the same sense of proximity to them. Greek myths work because
> the damn Gods won't stay out of people's business. In a mud with a thousand
> online players, with five thousand, how do you keep that same feeling?

Our God system is not scalable to EQ's level I believe. It works well on
s small scale, but tt requires too much work to keep the Gods in line,
while maintaining thier interest in the game. But, I really wasn't
referring to our God system. The users don't have power in EQ either. The
power is completely in the hands of the admins and the coding team, etc. I
am not overly-familiar with EQs methods of doing things, but I seriously
doubt that they let the users decide just what is going to be in each
update, for instance.
--matt