[MUD-Dev] Quote from a Simutronics developer

Erik Jarvi ejarvi at megsinet.net
Mon Apr 17 15:04:48 CEST 2000

On Sun, Apr 16, 2000 at 11:04:25PM -0500, Raph Koster wrote:

> *Those* definitions explain why combat creeps into the equations so quickly.
> And considering the ease of quantifying RL combat for implementation into a
> game, compared to quantifying politics, it's not hard to understand why
> there are so few massively multiplayer online political games.
> [snip]
> - Mike "Jhyrryl" Paddock
> <---end quote

Combat and political/economic games are not mutually exclusive.

I'd even say to be a successful political/economic game you _have_ to have combat.
Think assassinations, blackmail, any type of crime.  We thrive on crime. It creates
ALOT of tension, and player involvement.

Years ago, while Mud hopping, I played this one Mud, I don't even remeber it's
name, that had this asshole PKer on it. He was almost always IC on a HnS Mud.  He
would constantly PK players around his level and higher.  Everyone on the Mud had
a focus point to direct their "hate". He would taunt lowbies, but never PK them.
Well it turns out he was a friend of one of the admins, and was asked to play this
role.  I thought it was great, others didn't.  But it was a way to direct players
activities, like quests. :)

Erik

--
All music aspires to the condition of muzak.