[MUD-Dev] banning the sale of items

Par Winzell zell at alyx.com
Sun Apr 16 21:39:57 CEST 2000

Matthew Mihaly writes:
 > On Sun, 16 Apr 2000, Par Winzell wrote:
 >
 > > But "ethical schmethical" is too dismissive. :-)
 >
 > I disagree. My statement was intended to convey the idea that ethics
 > should be _utterly_ irrelevant as far as an end goal in how you design a
 > game, when doing it for a publically traded company. Publically traded
 > companies have a mandate to create shareholder value, and any other goal
 > (such as creating an 'ethical' game) is negligent management.

And my post was intended to convey the idea that "ethical" does _not_
necessarily mean running your company less efficiently just so you can
satisfy some vague bumper-sticker notion -- "ethical" can be a nugget
of common sense that you can use to create a better game, thus better
shareholder value!

Par