[MUD-Dev] Quests

Madrona Tree madronatree at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 15 09:10:51 CEST 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Raph Koster" <rkoster at austin.rr.com>
To: <mud-dev at kanga.nu>
Sent: Thursday, April 13, 2000 9:40 PM
Subject: RE: [MUD-Dev] Spawning and quests (was Sony ban)

> Your example of epic seems to be team-based capture the flag?
> Yes, several muds have tried that. UO's try at it is going in within
> the next few weeks as part of UO: Renaissance. I think Meridian
> 59 had a coupleof versions of it. Players quickly see it as football
> and not as an epic quest.

Do you think this is because of the players, or the quest?  Do you think
that if UO was not a mass market game where people weren't really 'in the
mood' in the first place, people would have different attitudes toward
large-scale, capture-the-flag type quests?  Do you think they would work
better on a more enthusiastic population, that was maybe smaller?

> I've written very epic, narratively based quests for Legend.
> They take a long time to craft, aren't repeatable, and get
> reduced to walkthroughs no matter how compellingly written.

You sound a little bitter about this.  Are you discouraged to the point
where you no longer want to do write them?

Madrona Tree.