[MUD-Dev] Spawning and quests (was Sony ban)

Wes Connell wconnell at skotos.net
Fri Apr 14 10:17:21 CEST 2000

On Wed, 12 Apr 2000, Paul Schwanz - Enterprise Services wrote:

> Regarding spawning, has anyone seriously considered or implemented a system
> in which mobs only spawn where heroes are not present?  Perhaps even an
> algorithm which scans a region for "natural predators" to be used in
> determining "reproduction" levels.  This might even be a nice eco-system
> experiment with populations sizes based on available food, shelter, etc. in
> addition to predators.  Maybe even a "monster food chain."  Could be fun. :-)

IIRC Diku does this in basic way. If there are players in an area it does
not reset. Of course this creates long-distance camping. Instead of
camping out in the open where the spawn point is just camp in a safe room
and go back in X minutes.

I'm sure if PKilling was an issue on EQ then I would guess that would stop
people from camping in the same zone as the mob.

Wes!
wconnell at skotos.net