[MUD-Dev] banning the sale of items

Jeff Freeman skeptack at antisocial.com
Wed Apr 12 09:11:33 CEST 2000

At 02:48 AM 4/12/00 +0000, you wrote:
>This might be horribly naive, as I haven't given it much thought, but if
>people want to buy these things, why the hell is Verant making them go
>offline to do it? If Verant believes that it is impossible to stop, why
>not try to exploit it?

I don't get the impression that they believe it is impossible to stop most
of it.

I guess they're thinking people will cancel their accounts rather than
selling them to someone that will take-over the payments, and that will
somehow be good for profits.  They must believe the harm caused by people
paying real money to escape having to play part of the game is worth it.

Maybe it is, but I'll join the "sounds like bad game design" camp.

I mean, people are paying real cash money to *not* play part of the game.

Paying real money to escape having to go on a quest for an item (huh?
Don't most players LIKE quests?).

I'm thinking, "That must be a reeeeally bad quest."

But having played EQ and seen their idea of "kewl lewt qwests", I already
know they're worth paying to avoid, if you want the magic doodad.

(They are, I think, fairly typical quests that would probably be fine on a
100-player MUD, though).

--
 http://dundee.uong.com/