[MUD-Dev] Sony to ban sale of online characters from its popular gaming sites

Travis Nixon tnixon at avalanchesoftware.com
Tue Apr 11 19:36:07 CEST 2000

------=_NextPart_000_01AB_01BFA3ED.2EEB1C40

Ryan Palacio wrote:
>Now for those still dwelling on design "flaws" that magnify the =
problem,
>let me state that they only _magnify_ the underlying issues which are a
>mere matter of psychology and "human nature".  Although design IN-GAME =
can
>curb this type of negative behavior, or at least help alleviate some of =
the
>symptoms, the problem still exists and the only way to effectively =
stomp it
>out is to remove the facilitator/middleman.

Not intending this as a flame, so please don't take it that way, but do =
you honestly look at sales on Ebay as a "root problem" rather than a =
symptom of certain design decisions?  I mean, to a point, wherever =
people percieve value, money will become involved, and I'm not sure =
there's anything you can really do about that.

Sorry if this seems off-topic for the list, but real-life sales of =
virtual "property" is something that interests me, especially thinking =
about ways to harness and benefit from something that's going to happen =
anyway. :)

Travis

------=_NextPart_000_01AB_01BFA3ED.2EEB1C40

<HTML>
<HEAD>

http-equiv=3DContent-Type><!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 =
Transitional//EN">
<STYLE></STYLE>

</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>
<DIV>Ryan Palacio wrote:</DIV>
<DIV>>Now for those still dwelling on design "flaws" that =
magnify=20
the problem,<BR>>let me state that they only _magnify_ the underlying =
issues=20
which are a<BR>>mere matter of psychology and "human =
nature". =20
Although design IN-GAME can<BR>>curb this type of negative behavior, =
or at=20
least help alleviate some of the<BR>>symptoms, the problem still =
exists and=20
the only way to effectively stomp it<BR>>out is to remove the=20
facilitator/middleman.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>Not intending this as a flame, so please don't take it that way, =
but do you=20
honestly look at sales on Ebay as a "root problem" rather than =
a=20
symptom of certain design decisions?  I mean, to a point, wherever =
people=20
percieve value, money will become involved, and I'm not sure there's =
anything=20
you can really do about that.<BR><BR>Sorry if this seems off-topic for =
the list,=20
but real-life sales of virtual "property" is something that =
interests=20
me, especially thinking about ways to harness and benefit from something =
that's=20
going to happen anyway. :)<BR><BR>Travis</DIV></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_01AB_01BFA3ED.2EEB1C40--