[MUD-Dev] History, background and religion

Matthew Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Tue Apr 11 18:53:49 CEST 2000

On Tue, 11 Apr 2000, Pileborg Joachim - FMT wrote:

> I know that most existing MUDs don't have either a history, background
> or religion. What I'm wondering is how many of you do have a (more or
> less) well thought-out history for your MUD? Are you borrowing stuff from
> our own history? How do you handle names (of people and places) in case
> you dont? Religion and gods? Do the implemtation of it all differ from what
> you first planned it to be, and why?

We have quite a detailed history of maybe 30-40k words. Aside from any
benefit it gives the mud, I had a fun time writing them and coming up with
the storylines. I like to toss in rl references in the histories that
players may or may not catch. Anything from having a prophet named Caymus
(one of my favourite wineries irl) plots blatantly stolen from history
(well, blatantly if you are familiar with the period in question), such as
the Wars of Succession involving Maria Theresa. My history of the mortal
races includes quite a long section on the history of mankind that has a
lot of incest and whatnot ala greek tragedy.

Anyway, check it out:

www.achaea.com/history/history.html

I particularly recommend the history of the Selucarian empire (really just
part I of that history as it only covers the first couple hundred years).

--matt