[MUD-Dev] Historical perspective (was: dealing with foul language)

Tue Apr 11 15:07:45 CEST 2000

Brian Green wrote:
> Raph wrote:
>=20
> > [...] I was responding more to the
> > point made by Ola that *because* they appeal to a broad audience, the=
y are
> > therefore less important, less innovative, or "matter" less.

I never said that they are less important because they appeal to a broad
audience. I say they matter less if they are themselves made too broad
and average.  Clearly, something narrow is less likely to appeal to a
broad audience... It is often true that things become average when they
are MADE to appeal to a broad audience though... Still it is (usually)
better to have an audience than not.  TV is very broad, and you get a
lot of programs covering the same stuff. Same thing with certain other
entertainment products.

> Unfortunately, in general, mass-market products are held in less esteem
> than more venerable forms of art.  If you ask people for examples of
> great literature, many would talk about Dickens or Shakespeare.

I guess art is off-topic, but still.  When I say "matter" I don't mean
craft and aesthetics or emotionally compelling presentation/drama
whatever.  Ibsen mattered more in his time than now, because he
addressed stuff that was very relevant then. But maybe one of his
contemporaries (Bjoernson) mattered even more because of his liberal and
nationalistic attitude which was an important national force. Ibsen is
no doubt considered as the most significant artist of the two now, but
maybe Bjoernson achieved more with his work... etc.. *shrug* Ibsen is
however no longer provoking IMO, but is assimilated in our culture...

> More
> cultured people might talk about artists in other languages, such as
> Lorca or B=E9cquer.

Well, things that make you think are good, things that don't are
somewhat inconsequential. Foreign stuff is often useful for seeing
things differently. IMO art is not a thing, but something that happens
in your brain when you view something that way. I hope my definitions
don't cause list havoc...

[mud community lacks innovation]

We only view the muds with players as lacking innovation. The ones
without functional networking code or players are quite innovative ;>

> (and, did I mention I'm currently looking for work?)

Me too, I'll work for fresh air..

--=20
Ola