[MUD-Dev] Trouble Makers or Regular Citizens

Matthew Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Mon Apr 10 22:16:05 CEST 2000

On Mon, 10 Apr 2000, Ola Fosheim [iso-8859-1] Gr=F8stad wrote:

> Matthew Mihaly wrote:
> > is that there was very very little diversity. Beliefs, etc came down in=
> > hierarchy from the Emperor and the country was united as has rarely bee=
> > seen in history by this fact. Peer pressure was extreme enough to cause
> > suicides, etc.
>=20
> I don't know enough about Japan to actually make a sensible comment. I
> just thought that it might be worthwhile to add that we in the west are
> not very well equipped for understanding non-western cultures on the
> emotional level. We don't really fully understand the concept of
> honour/pride/shame tied to your entire family... We don't really
> understand that the person-body relationship can be perceived
> differently either...
>=20
> I wonder if a MUD targeting arabian countries could be designed in a
> different way than one targeting say, the US?
>=20
> I really like the Farmer/Layza musings on japanese culture, and to some
> extent the Aoki paper... Scott McCloud's treatment of cultural
> differences in comics is also interesting...
>=20

There are several graphical MMORPGs based in Asia I believe. My knowledge
here is quite sketchy, but Kingdom of the Winds is in Asia I believe
(which holds the record for most people online in a single world...over
12,000). I think there are a couple others in Korea. they would be good
places to start.

--matt