[MUD-Dev] dealing with foul language

Kristen L. Koster koster at eden.com
Sun Apr 9 11:44:17 CEST 2000

on 4/8/2000 9:40 PM, Darren Henderson wrote:

> On Fri, 7 Apr 2000, Kristen L. Koster wrote:
>
>> on 4/7/2000 7:55 AM, Wes Connell wrote:
>>
>>> On Fri, 7 Apr 2000, Matthew Mihaly wrote:
>>>
>>> In UO if you turn on the obscenity filter and look at the sign of a
>>> freshly placed house you recieve:  a br*** sign. Normally its just a brass
>>> sign. Always struck me as kinda funny.
>>
>> Yeah, it's not that smart a filter. In particular--there's no reason to
>> filter "a brass sign"--the designers wrote that text! If we were willing to
>> incur a tiny bit of extra bandwidth, we could differentiate between
>> player-entered and admin-entered text and not bother filtering the
>> admin-entered stuff. Of course, it's a tradeoff between additional cost to
>> us (the added bandwidth) versus saving some cpu usage on the client machine
>> which probably has it to spare--pretty obvious which way we decided to go.
>> ;)
>
> You can't tell on the client side what is system/designer generated and
> what is player generated?

Nope, as I explained, the slight bit of extra bandwidth isn't really worth
it for the potential applications of having said information.The main
application for knowing that bit of info is better filtering, which is a
fringe application of dubious worth in the first place, as we've been
discussing, and which doesn't cost us anything anyway.

-Raph