[MUD-Dev] Same-Sex Marriage (was: Trouble Makers or Regular Citizens)

Ananda Dawnsinger ananda at greyrealms.com
Thu Apr 6 21:37:06 CEST 2000

----------
>From: Matthew Mihaly <the_logos at achaea.mudservices.com>
>To: mud-dev at kanga.nu
>Subject: Re: [MUD-Dev] Trouble Makers or Regular Citizens
>Date: Thu, Apr 6, 2000, 5:56 PM
>

>I wouldn't. There's nothing out of role about homophobia, racism, or
>anti-homophobia, or anti-racism. We have a number of homosexual characters
>in Achaea, for instance, and have even dealt with the issue of same-sex
>marriages.

How did you end up dealing with same-sex marriages?  It's an issue our
design team is most likely going to have to face at some point (and the
project leader is perfectly content to ignore it until a player asks).

In the specific circumstances, I'm inclined to leave the decision up to the
players.  (Yep, I'm a coward.)  If there were consensus among the GMs, I
might feel differently.

The issue is complicated because ours is a multi-racial system and IMO it's
neither realistic nor desirable to sanction marriage between species of
fundamentally different kingdoms.  Will players accept it if two humans of
the same sex can marry, but a female human can't marry a male dragon?

The solution I would (will) suggest is to decouple the legal and the
social/religious aspects of marriage.  Any two (or more) people can register
a union with the city-state, giving them property and inheritance rights.
The various religious and racial orders and institutions would be more
restrictive.

This means that race X can have a long history of blessing same-sex
marriages, race Y can have different customs and names for same-sex and
opposite-sex unions, and race Z can officially deny that homosexual Zs even
exist...

   -- Sharon