[MUD-Dev] characters per account

Wed Apr 5 17:00:13 CEST 2000

Timothy Dang wrote:
> I'm sure there's no way to absolutely prevent multiplaying, but I'd find
> suggestions on how to reduce it without destroying the appeal of a game
> very useful.

Under the assumption that you want this for methodological reasons, then
I think you have several options.
1. Make your game only available toschools in cooperation with
teachers.
2. Allow only email accounts from a credible source (a university that
has a single account per person policy).
3. Invitation only, send out invitations to a stratified preselected set
of email accounts.
4. Allow multiple characters per account, assign experience points
shared by the characters to the account, run the game for a limited time
(thus avoiding boredom-related multiplaying), avoid policies that
stimulate multiple accounts (like banning), use the account, not
characters, in your analysis.

Ola.